Do you suffer from headaches? Has it become a normal part of your life?
If so you are not alone, headaches are one of the most common symptoms a doctor is asked to treat. The most common mechanism for headaches is muscle tension in the neck and shoulders which is not surprising due to our busy lifestyles and mental work that we do. Below are some handy hints to help reduce and eliminate most headaches.
- Regular gentle neck stretching (the more severe the headache the more gentle the neck stretches)
- Book-in for a massage when you start to feel tension building, this will alleviate tightness and tension before it gets to headache stage
- Reduce eye strain and length of mental work i.e. time you spend at a computer or reading. Break-up this time with short periods, even of a few minutes, away from the computer or desk.
- Drink more water during the day
- Get adequate sleep of around 7hrs
- Take a hot bath
- Minimise mental work and bright lights in the evening before sleep
- Reduce caffeine intake after 3pm
- Try to take some time out during your busy week – even 5 minutes of lying on the floor with eyes closed will help reduce tension.
Remedial massage provides a very good way to reduce muscle tightness and tension which primarily arise from mental overload and/or injuries. Matt has considerable experience in treating shoulder and neck muscle dysfunction which helps his clients to overcome headaches and migraines. Matt uses specific soft tissue techniques that physiotherapists have developed at Total Physio Centre (Gorokan) for treating headaches. Don’t put up with headaches any more – contact Matt to make a booking or to see if he can help your condition.