Below is a simple recipe for Masala tea which is otherwise known as chai tea.
Ingredients (serves 4 people):
Milk – 2 cups (or soy)
Water – 2 cups
Black Tea – 2 – 3 tea bags with tags/string removed
Sugar – chai is generally served sweet so 4 tsp of sugar, or honey or even sweet condensed milk!
Masala (spice mix):
Fresh ginger – 1-2 tsp grated or pounded
Cardamom powder– 2 pinches
Cinnamon powder –2 pinches
Cloves powder – 1 pinch
- Bring water to boil in a medium saucepan
- Boil fresh ginger for 2 minute (approx.)
- Add tea and boil for 1 minute (approx.)
- Add powder spices and boil for a further 1 minute (approx.)
- Add milk or soy and bring to boil – remove from heat prior to boiling.
- Sweeten to taste with honey, sugar or condensed milk